21 August 2012

The Bourne Legacy

Rich in scenery but heavy in incomprehensible pseudo-scientific terms, the opening half of this film leaves one wondering if it was worth the money, even if it was a gift card. But, as with many things, it gets better.

It takes a quality few possess to be a leading man; taking the screen requires charisma, talent, and a good script. Jeremy Renner performs his first real lead role admirably, even under pressure from fans of the previous Bourne films.

Though you shouldn't expect Matt Damon, everything else fits the Bourne bill, and exceeds at least several sets of expectations. It grows on you, I suppose; there's a pack of wolves, an excellent motorcycle chase, a beautiful woman rescued from danger by a man with arms like brick walls, with very little for even the most conservative individual to raise a ruckus about.

Normally, I don't like pseudo-sequels that switch characters and make a money play. In this case, though I'm well aware it's a ploy for cash, I also know that for those involved on the project that wasn't the only thing on their minds. Rachael Weisz holds her own as to be expected, and like his character, Renner meets every challenge set before him.

I can't give the story away; even if I didn't care about spoilers, I would have a hard time getting my head around just exactly what story the film is trying to tell; then again, even that is right in line with the previous Bourne film. The most disconcerting thing of all is the presence of Bourne in the title, and his absence during the 2hr 15m thrill ride that just might give Mr. Damon a run for his money.

My biggest complaint was the overuse of scientific or political language that was so obviously intended to impress us but made absolutely no sense to us viewers who don't give a loo that Sandstone and Meerkat Lodge are government programmes all with the intention of using de-emotionalised men as international assassins.

Saving that, I cannot actually offer any griping; there are many unsolved puzzles by the end, but if this makes enough money I guess they'll put up another one to answer a few. It was low on my radar before I went, but after stewing over it I've decided I certainly wouldn't object to viewing it a good few times in my life.

-TheEDP

2 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you enough how pleased I am to see the English Dor-Post making a comeback. Keep up the good work, and thanks for writing your thoughts on this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thoroughly glad for your support!

    ReplyDelete